Kwok Wai Chung
Viennese potato salad
1 red onion, finely diced
5 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons beef stock
1 tablespoon mustard
½ bunch chives, finely chopped
Pinch of salt
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 10 minutes until soft. Drain and leave until cool enough to handle.
- While still warm, peel the potatoes and slice them in ¼ inch cubes into the large bowl.
- Splash the potatoes with the hot beef stock and toss gently.
- In the small bowl, mix the vinegar, mustard and oil together.
- Add the onions and chives to the warm potatoes. Pour over the marinade and toss gently. Serve.
- The best type of mustard to use for this dish is a tarragon or Dijon-style mustard.
- This potato salad is very good served at room temperature or chilled.
- Serve with cooked meats for a tasty and filling meal.
- Potatoes are a great source of potassium and vitamin C. Potassium can lower blood pressure and vitamin C is good for maintaining a healthy immune system.
- Onion contain allicin, which helps to lower cholesterol levels, regulate blood pressure and reduce the risk of some cancers.