Spanish garlic soup
100g ham, diced
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 slices stale bread, cubed
1.5 litres beef stock
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon paprika
- Heat the oil in the saucepan and add the garlic. Gently fry until golden brown.
- Add the ham and stir until heated through. Add the bread and stir thoroughly.
- Remove from the heat. Add the paprika and stir until all the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Return to the heat and stir-fry the ingredients for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the beef stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Carefully crack the eggs into the soup. Cover the pan with a lid and leave the eggs to set for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon the soup into 4 serving bowls. Top each bowl with a poached egg. Serve piping hot.
- This is a great recipe to use up any leftover bread. One-day old crusty bread or French stick works particularly well.
- Chicken stock can be used instead of beef. Add extra liquid if needed.
- Add some chopped parsley for a fresh garnish.
- When choosing ham, opt for healthier extra lean ham over the regular version, since it has lower fat and calories.
- Whole wheat and white breads can be part of a healthy diet, but choose whole grain bread more often. Look for breads with at least 2 grams of fibre per slice. Also make sure they are low in sugar, fat and sodium.