Professional Chef Union
Light and tasty fish ball soup
100g fish balls
10g Chinese celery, diced
10g dong cai (Chinese preserved vegetables), diced
2cm ginger, sliced
½ loofah, peeled and cut into wedges
Pinch of salt
- Put the water in the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add the ginger.
- Add the loofah, dong cai and fish balls. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the diced Chinese celery and a pinch of salt. Cook for 2 minutes. Serve.
- Dong cai is a pickled cabbage originating from Tianjin, China. Before cooking, the cabbage needs to be rinsed and drained to remove excess salt.
- Bitter gourd, hairy melon or Asian style cucumber can be used as substitutes for loofah.
- For a vegetarian version, replace the fish balls with cubes of firm tofu.
- Fish balls are rich in protein and can be incorporated in to a healthy and balanced diet. Just be sure to choose ones that are not fried and prepared with little salt or oil.
- Loofah is a low-calorie vegetable that absorbs the flavours of the food it is cooked with. It is rich in vitamin C, which can give the immune system a boost, help with wound healing and protect body cells from free-radical damage.