Diego Fernando Sanchez
Fried baby banana
3 baby bananas, peeled and halved lengthways
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon oil
Large bowl x 2
- Put the flour in one bowl and the beaten egg mixture in the other. Spread out a layer of breadcrumbs on the chopping board.
- Gently toss the bananas in the flour and then in the egg mixture. Next, lightly roll the bananas in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan. Carefully add the bananas and fry on all sides until golden brown. Remove from the pan and serve hot.
- You can buy dry breadcrumbs at the supermarket or make your own at home –– it’s a great way to use up any leftover fresh bread! A food processor or blender will make very fine, uniform breadcrumbs but a knife will also work just fine.
- Freeze any leftover breadcrumbs in a sealed plastic bag and use within 2 months.
- To test if the oil in the pan is ready, add one banana to see if it sizzles. If it burns quickly, the oil is too hot.
- Swapping the white flour for whole wheat flour is an easy way to increase the fibre content of this recipe.
- Crushed bran cereal is an excellent substitute for breadcrumbs. It has less calories, less fat, less sodium, and up to twice the amount of fibre of regular breadcrumbs.
- Aside from its high potassium content, bananas contain a good amount of vitamin C. Vitamin C boosts the immune system and cell health.