Fish and chips
215g (1 can) sardines in tomato sauce
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into matchstick-sized strips
2 teaspoons oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon white vinegar
Pinch of salt
- Heat the oil in the frying pan. Add the potato strips and vinegar. Stir-fry quickly for 5 minutes.
- Add the sardines and tomato sauce. Stir-fry for 2 minutes until the sauce coats the potato strips.
- Add the salt and sesame oil. Remove from the pan and serve.
- Matchstick-size potato strips are good for frying. Thicker strips will take longer to cook through.
- Soaking the potato strips in cold water before cooking helps to remove excess starch and prevent the potatoes from turning black.
- Potatoes are an excellent source of potassium, a good source of vitamin C and a source of fibre and folate. For an extra fibre boost, keep the skins on the potatoes.
- Canned fish is a good source of lean protein and omega-3 fats. Omega-3 fats help lower the risk of heart disease.