Coconut pumpkin pasta with chicken
100g minced chicken
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 spring onion, chopped
1 red chilli, chopped
¼ onion, finely chopped
¼ pumpkin, chopped
100ml coconut milk
1 tablespoon oil
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the instructions on the packet.
- As the pasta cooks, heat the oil in the frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, chilli and pumpkin and cook on a medium heat.
- Add the chicken and fry until cooked through.
- Add a little water to release the flavours sticking to the pan, then stir in the tomatoes.
- Add the coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and stir in the sauce. Sprinkle with spring onions and serve.
- This dish can be prepared using minced pork, beef or fish in place of the chicken.
- For a vegetarian version, simply omit the meat and add extra fresh vegetables.
- The sauce is also delicious served with rice or on toasted bread.
- Whole wheat pasta provides more minerals, vitamins, protein and fibre. A one-cup serving has about a quarter of the recommended daily fibre.
- Coconut milk is high in total and saturated fat, so should be used in moderation.
- Chicken is a healthy meat that provides a significant amount of protein. To reduce the fat content by half, remove the skin before cooking.