Sally Shi-po Poon
Barley and vegetable stir-fry
150g frozen vegetables
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
1 stick celery, diced
1 onion, diced
2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the water in the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add the barley. Cook for 15 minutes.
- As the barley cooks, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the wok. Pour in the eggs and scramble lightly for 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and put to one side.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok. Add the garlic and onion. Fry for 5 minutes until the onion softens.
- Add the frozen vegetables and celery. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Drain the cooked barley and add to the wok with the eggs, spring onion and turmeric. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
- To prevent the barley from becoming too soggy, take care not to overcook it!
- Try replacing the barley with leftover white, red or brown rice.
- This recipe is packed with fibre from the grains and vegetables. A high-fibre diet can help improve digestive health, lower cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes, and keep your weight in check.