Patisserie Jeffery Koo
Honey vanilla roll
160g self-raising flour
1 egg yolk
200ml whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Using the whisk, beat the eggs, egg yolk and 160g of sugar in the large bowl for 7 minutes.
- Fold the flour into the egg mixture. Add ½ teaspoon of vanilla essence and 90g honey. Mix well.
- Line the baking tray with baking paper. Pour the mixture into the tray. Bake for 10 minutes until the middle of the cake springs back when gently pressed.
- Lay a sheet of baking paper slightly larger than the cake on the worktop and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Remove the sponge from the oven. Tip it onto the sugared baking paper. Peel off the top piece of baking paper. Leave to cool.
- Clean the large bowl and whisk the whipping cream. When thick, beat in the remaining vanilla essence and honey.
- Spread the cream evenly onto the sponge, leaving a 1cm gap from the edge.
- Starting at one of the short ends of the sponge, roll the sponge up.
- Cut into slices and serve immediately.
- A 28cm x 30cm baking tray will give you the perfect shape and size for this cake.
- Make sure the cake is cool to touch before spreading the cream. If it is too warm, the cream will melt!
- Serve small portions of the dessert with fresh fruits. Fresh fruits will add not only colour and flavour to the dish, but also essential nutrients that the body needs.
- When it comes to baking, unsweetened apple sauce can be used as a substitute for butter! Try replacing half or more of the required amount of butter with apple sauce. This can help reduce saturated fat and calories from the recipe.